The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Meningitis rash?

Does this looks like a meningitis rash? My son has had this rash for 2.5 weeks now. It stayed on the rib cage on one side until it hit the 2 week mark and then it started spreading. I’ve gone to the Dr 3 times and finally at the third appt they gave me a cream and Zyrtec. I haven’t noticed much of a different due to me having just got the meds yesterday. I google everything �� and google says the meningitis rashes start out as blanching rashes which is exactly what my son has (it goes away when you press on it) but then they don’t stay that way. When I look up pics I can’t fully tell if it looks like this? Anyone know or anything.

Also, my son is not having a fever or acting sick. He is acting normal as well as eating normal!

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
20+ Similar Discussions Found
10 Comments
Oldest First
h
homogentisicacid

if this was meningitis, your child would not be alive for 2.5 weeks with no medical intervention aside from allergy meds. Especially if he seems perfectly normal.

Your only other recourse is to reach out to dermatology or an allergist.

Show 3 Previous Comments
h
homogentisicacid
@SmT97,

maybe two weeks?

a
aacaac

I'm not confident I can identify a meningitis rash versus a more benign cause, but I am confident that meningitis always causes additional symptoms like fever, vomiting, irritability/discomfort, and listlessness. I wouldn't worry about meningitis since he's acting fine, and consider more environmental causes like laundry soaps, new foods he's tried, or even whether he's been sweatier than usual in the areas that have the rash.

P
Pinebeauty

Looks like an allergy to something. Have you changed anything recently? Detergent? 

abay387

Maybe a roseola type deal from a virus. Prob not meningitis, they’d probably be very sick at this point

kirkii1990

have you done the glass test?

S
Smj5085

I had to join to ask what ever happened with your son and his rash? I am dealing with the same thing! I suspected it was viral but it seems to be spreading to the other side. On Friday we will be going on two weeks. This past Friday the pedi said either viral or contact dermatitis.