The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Covid or meningitis *pic included*

Baby is displaying symptoms of both:(

Lethargic, cranky, refusing to eat, fever, diarrhea, vomiting. It’s making me so sad to see. She also developed this rash on her stomach. Not sure if it’s eczema, heat rash, or meningitis.

I had covid last week so I initially assumed she caught covid but this rash is making me nervous about meningitis.

*update* dr didn’t want to see baby but said a rash could be a symptom of covid. Debating whether to take her to a pediatric urgent care

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
For verified information about vaccines, visit our vaccine resources page.
31 Comments
Oldest First
oneLittleMonster

in the case of if it is meningitis,you need to be going to the emergency room with your LO.

meningitis is very serious

oneLittleMonster
@oneLittleMonster,

and so is covid, so either way, LO needs to see a doctor asap.

b
boymum0503

I agree with pp. call your pediatrician ASAP for an opinion

k
kbc812

Call the pediatrician. See if you should take baby to them or the ER. No one on this app can tell you what’s wrong.

Icantbelieveitwaspositive

There is a glass test for meningitis that you can perform at home. https://www.meningitisnow.org/meningitis-explained/signs-and-symptoms/glass-test/

If you have serious doubts, then you should take the baby to urgent care.

e
ellays1

Omg I’m living the same thing with my baby except it’s more on her face than on her body. I took her to the emergency I initially thought it’s a reaction to kiwi she ate but they said it didn’t look like an allergic reaction and that it might be something viral. She hasn’t got a temperature and no cough we haven’t had covid but today she started vomitting (spitting up) the milk she ate. She’s veeeery sleepy and cranky too. I’m so upset seeing her face and body like this I really don’t know what to do

BAK8220
@ellays1,

any updates because my baby is exactly the same. I was thinking fifths disease. urgent doc said pollen allergy but it was a virtual visit. going to see her pediatrician Friday.

m
mtnboymomstm

I think i would be finding a new pediatrician if my baby’s dr refused to see my child with those symptoms. Sorry mama, hope your baby is feeling better soon.

ticklecrabs
@mtnboymomstm,

agreed. They do covid tests in our pediatricians office. If baby is ever sick, they want to see him

E
Emadrigal
@mtnboymomstm,

yup! I’ve take my baby in for a covid test and the staff and doctor put on full PPE to see him. Baby was negative and was diagnosed with rsv.

teamhotkamp

I’d be less concerned about the rash and more concerned that you baby isn’t eating/drinking and is lethargic with diarrhea. If you baby isn’t acting appropriately and not making wet diapers, your child should be see and evaluated for possible dehydration.

T
TiredMom90

I’m not trying to attack you and I’m sorry if it comes off this way.

If your baby is having all these symptoms - posting in a blog is not going to do any good. You need to call your pediatrician and have your baby seen.

If they refuse to see the baby- for now go to the ER - as dehydration and lethargy are serious for baby. And eventually find a new pediatrician.

We’re all mom- but we’re not medical professionals and if it’s something this serious - posting on here would be my last thought process.

s
smile027

That’s why these hospitals and urgent cares are filling up and “overwhelmed”. Because these doctors won’t see their patients. If you feel she needs to be seen take her in.

dragonmommm
@smile027,

⬆️ agreed ⬆️

KRC713

We are on week 2 of Covid. The very first sign for my son was a body rash… and he’s had almost all of the other symptoms following. I’m sorry your dr won’t make an appointment. My pcp wouldn’t either. We did take my son to an immediate care to get tested though. Hope you are both feeling well soon. Good luck!