Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are fig tree leaves discolouring?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

Why are fig tree leaves discolouring?

Hello Members,

Does the fig tree leaves turn to discolor during this time. It happened during last winter and the leaves were green in spring until few weeks ago, started to behave as informed in below image. Is that a sign of lack of nutricients or by nature they behave this way.

nagumuthu_0-1676188768374.png

Thanks for your time.

Happy Gardening.

MM.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why are fig tree leaves discolouring?

Hi @nagumuthu,

Your fig leaves could be turning brown for several reasons, including improper watering, sun damage, pests and diseases, or lack of nutrients. 

A lack of water is one of the most common reasons for dry, curling leaves. This issue worsens if you've seen higher temperatures in your area. When the top 100mm depth of soil becomes dry, you need to water the plant and give it a good 30min soaking at least once a week. Mulching around the plant can help retain moisture between waterings.

If you haven't seen extreme temperatures and have been watering adequately, it could be a case of over or under-fertilising. Have you fertilised at all? If you haven't fertilised recently, I'd recommend applying a citrus fertiliser.

Pest-wise, are there any rust-coloured spots under the leaves or obvious insect infestations?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @MitchellMc 

We do water every day and very sure that the plant is hydrated. But we have never fertilized it. Also nowadays the temperature is around 25 to 30 in our area. 

Upon a talk with local nursery, we were informed to feed liquid copper (https://www.bunnings.com.au/yates-200ml-liquid-copper-fungicide_p3010236) (this happened around 8 months ago), when the leaves are turning color. We applied liquid copper to the leaves and it does not help. (I cant confidently say that, as few days later, all the leaves fell down. Remember the season as winter).

I still have stock of liquid copper.  I can also get citrus fertiliser. Not sure which one to try first.

Thanks

MM

Hi @nagumuthu,

This could be a return of the same issue you experienced previously, possibly Anthracnose. It's a fungal disease, and that is why copper was recommended. Once the leaves have become this infected, there isn't really much you can do, and the copper won't resolve the situation. The copper fungicide must be applied at the first signs of infection, and any infected leaves should be removed from the plant. If you have leaf litter around the base of the plant or mulch, you'll likely find that the fungal infection has lived there in the offseason and then travelled back up to your plant.

At this stage, I recommend waiting until the cooler months when the fig begins to lose its leaves. Collect all the fallen leaves and clean up the area around the tree. Bag this material and put it in your hard rubbish to stop the disease from spreading to other plants around your garden. Once you've thoroughly cleaned up the tree and ground around it, spray the whole tree and ground with the copper fungicide. It would likely be a good idea to do a reapplication in early Spring and until fruiting to stave off any fungal attacks.

Let me mention one o our horticulturalists @Noelle to see if she has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @nagumuthu 

I agree with Mitchell - this looks like disease rather than anything else.  Follow his instructions about applying the copper fungicide and, most importantly, cleaning up around the tree.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Agreed with Mitchell and Noelle. Make sure you pick up any leaves on the ground and put into the bin. Do not leave them there or put into compost . 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects