Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:52 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,697 times

Advertisements

I've seen that the topic of what is and isn't considered humid subtropical in the U.S. is quite controversial (and it isn't my intention to start another huge debate -- honest ), so I'm wondering how you guys will feel about this map.

According to this map, much of the Gulf Coast is considered humid subtropical. Most of what we consider humid subtropical in the U.S. is considered humid warm temperate here, which could be interpreted by some as humid subtropical-lite.

Some don't like the Koeppen classifications because they feel it's too broad -- well, what about this map? Could this map function as some sort of compromise for the humid subtropical debate? It seems highly detailed and precise in breaking down the many climate zones in the United States.

By the way, if you want to check out an interesting array of climate maps, take a look at these:

Climate Types (where I got this map from)

PRISM Climate Group, Oregon State U
(where you can view many custom maps of your own over the past 30 years)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:07 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times
Warm temperate implies warm conditions in summer and not hot. The South has loads of heat in the summer. Too bad some of the excess summer heat can't be shifted to winter.

All US climate maps should contain a caveat stating that even in "tropical" and "sub-tropical" climates, all locations will be hit with highly extreme cold deviations every 20 years or so that do not happen any where else in the world.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:10 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
I've seen that the topic of what is and isn't considered humid subtropical in the U.S. is quite controversial (and it isn't my intention to start another huge debate -- honest ), so I'm wondering how you guys will feel about this map.
Your map is certainly outdated, since it lists Dulles Airport (IAD), VA as averaging colder than 0C in January, which it did in 1971 to 2000, but the 1981 to 2010 January norm mean temp for IAD is 33.2F.

I don't mean to sound so picky over the "smallest" details, but using a map based on outdated normals is not good practise.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Warm temperate implies warm conditions in summer and not hot. The South has loads of heat in the summer. Too bad some of the excess summer heat can't be shifted to winter.
Maybe don't get too hung up on names, implications are rather reader dependent. People should think of climate classification as a way to group similar places instead of worrying about the label.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe don't get too hung up on names, implications are rather reader dependent. People should think of climate classification as a way to group similar places instead of worrying about the label.

The inland South is probably even more continental than Philly. Hattiesburg, MS in the deep inland South had an avg Jan high/low of 56F/28F, with an extreme low temp of 12F. Subtropical?

Most of the South inland 50 miles or so from the coast is highly continental in winter. Temperate means "tempered" and not extreme like continental.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
English words will never match climate exactly, and words can have multiple meanings. Is temperate in between arctic/subarctic and tropical/subtropical or mild? In any case I find arguing based on the exact word tedious, especially since it has been 1000 years.

Looking at the map, I suspect for the eastern US, it's just a map based on annual average temperature.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:48 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
I rather like it.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The inland South is probably even more continental than Philly. Hattiesburg, MS in the deep inland South had an avg Jan high/low of 56F/28F, with an extreme low temp of 12F. Subtropical?

Most of the South inland 50 miles or so from the coast is highly continental in winter. Temperate means "tempered" and not extreme like continental.
Even tropical places get below zero sometimes. It's really not that cold. I personally don't really tend to think of somewhere with mild winters but mild summers as warmer than somewhere with hot summers but cold winters. Somewhere mild and temperate doesn't get that heat you'd associate with the tropics, but a more polarised place with hot summers might get it for much of the year.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Why can't a subtropical climate experience freezing temperatures? Even tropical places get below zero sometimes. It's really not that cold.
It's not freezing temperatures that I don't agree with, but big temperature variations between seasons.

A place with a 25C/50F range wouldn't seem to share climate characteristics with a place that has a 10C/20F range.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Even tropical places get below zero sometimes. It's really not that cold. I personally don't really tend to think of somewhere with mild winters but mild summers as warmer than somewhere with hot summers but cold winters. Somewhere mild and temperate doesn't get that heat you'd associate with the tropics, but a more polarised place with hot summers might get it for much of the year.
12F at the latitude of Hattiesburg (31N) is not just below zero (assuming you mean celcius). It is -11 below zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather